Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012


I wanted to make something Red, White and Blue for a little patriotic feel since it was Memorial Day. Normally May 28th we'd be celebrating Jacob's birthday, but he's in Great Lakes Illinois for Naval Basic Training right now. He missed a good time with the family, but we will celebrate his birthday when we see him in June.

I searched Pinterest and found a great looking "Patriotic" cake, but the recipe didn't sound so yummy. I chose a lemon cake recipe instead with cream cheese frosting. Everyone liked the lemon taste and the red, white and blue layers inside. Surprise!! 

I didn't get a chance to take a picture before we had already eaten more than half the cake, so I'm using the picture from Pinterest. Sorry, I don't know who took the picture or where the picture originated from.


It was DELICIOUS!

Lemonade Cake

INGREDIENTS:
1 boxed white cake mix
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. oil
3 eggs
1/2 c. frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed)

Mix all ingredients together. Bake as directed on the box.

Lemonade Frosting

DIRECTIONS:
8 oz. cream cheese (reduced fat cream cheese is fine, just don't use fat-free)*
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
Zest of one lemon (about 2 tsp.)
1 Tbsp. frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


I will be making this one again. Next time I'll get a picture too! :)

No comments: